We have all had
moments when we thought that our life was a mind crushingly boring life…those days when we were doing the same things over and over, often with little reward at the end of the day.
Even so, when it was simply a case of being bored, you knew that there was an end to it…at some point in time.
The boring trip would be over. The boring project would be finished and you could start one that you really, really like. The boring summer when you were a kid and all of your friends were gone would end with the return of school.
Or if you have ever been a parent, and had to sit through 3 showings of Toy Story every single day for a month…well, you really know the definition of boring, know what I mean? : D (and by the way, I love Toy Story and I could probably recite every line of the first movie, thank you, William!)
Here is what I define boredom as:
Boredom is not doing what you really want to do.
Yes, we all have chores and not many people that I know really get thrilled by cleaning out the refrigerator (please drop me a line if you like doing it; I have a fridge that needs a thorough wipe down!). There is a difference in doing a dreaded chore and being stuck in the state of boredom.
Is It a Boring Life or Is It Depression?
While moments of boredom can come and go in life, persistent feelings of:
- Exhaustion and difficulty sleeping
…are NOT boredom.
Boredom leaves, quite swiftly, when something more interesting comes along. That is not the case with depression. It is one of those states that are VERY stuck and it is a heavier feeling than boredom.
So, if you have been thinking that you are just bored and you have some of the above symptoms, it might not be that easy. It might be depression. In that case, you might need to seek professional help. ..and remember…asking for help is a sign of strength…not weakness…
Fixing a Boring Life is Simple When You Put Your Mind to It
- You find something that interests you that compliments your core values.
- You arrange and organize your life so that you can spend more time doing what interests you.
- You look for opportunities to enhance your life with what interests you.
- You release any blocks to doing those activities (remember, they have to compliment your core values, I can’t say this often enough).
- You make vision boards and visualize that exciting life that you want.
- You start with the end in mind and reverse engineer how you are going to get there.
Can you imagine your life if you were doing what you really wanted to do? Do you think that it would be “boring” or do you think that you would get up in the morning, excited to meet the new day and live it, fully and completely?
“Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things.” Denis Diderot. Tweet this!
Does that sound like a fairy-tale to you or do you think that it is possible? There are many people who live lives like that…where each day, when their feet hit the floor in the morning, their heart sings with joy, and they are filled with an energy, a passion and confidence that they are living the life that they really want.
Ask yourself these questions and see what answers you come up with…you can write them down if you want…or just notice…what those answers are…
- What aspect of my life is boring to me?
- What am I doing or not doing that is causing me to feel this way?
- Do I need to be more organized?
- Do I need structure or a schedule?
- Do I need ideas on what to do?
- Do I need more time to think, to imagine, and to create?
- Do I need to delegate some of the work I am doing?
And then I will ask this one…perhaps the most important question of them all….
Do you feel that you need to ask permission to have a life of excitement, passion, joy, energy….do you? If you do, then the question becomes, “According to who?” Is there someone that you feel you need to ask permission of…and let that go…because the only permission you need is yours…that’s right…
Change your Perspective and that Boring Life Will Change
These steps are simple…really…and they can make a difference…if you let them…catch the excitement of all of the possibilities…let your imagination run with the possibilities…and then make a choice…because you can…and this life is amazing…it really is…
It’s all about perspective…in how you see things…so if you can see that aspects of your life that you have labelled as being boring are just temporary…if you realize that you have the power to create your own life…and it doesn’t have to be a boring life…does it?
Get to the bottom of it and find out what you really want to do…get through the necessary chores of life…and allow yourself the time to be creative, to dance in the rain…to feel love and real joy…because you really do deserve that….don’t you?
“Drive your own life…you deserve to, don’t you?” Sherie Venner
Latest posts by Sherie (see all)
- How Your Relationship Might Be Sabotaging Your Business Success - April 30, 2013
- Relationship Tips. #7. Listen: Is Anybody Really Listening? - April 21, 2013
- Whose Really in Control of Your Life? - April 7, 2013